Monday, November 19, 2012

The grey area



A friend of mine posed a question a few weeks ago and its been rattling around in my head since then. He simply wanted to know what exactly was "The American Dream"? My impression of what "The American Dream" is, goes a little something like this.

It's probably more of a romantic idea related to the early pioneers and settlers who shaped America when it was in its infancy. My idea of  "The American Dream", is about conquering the land, acquiring wealth, providing for your family and being able to do what you please to this end.

After a conversation with someone who I'd class as an average American family man, I discovered my idea of "The American Dream" isn't too far from his own, but with one key difference. He talked about being able to do what you wanted within reason. 

The "within reason" part is very important. It's knowing that, yes we can, but should we? With all its power, the "within reason" variable can have huge implications for a country of Americas stature. Maybe the grey area of ,"within reason" is why Americans can sometimes seem arrogant to the outside world. 

It reminds me of the words of that great 20th century philosopher know to many as, Spiderman.


"With great power comes great responsibility".


This picture was taken on the I 90, heading toward Rapid City. I think it's a great example of, yes we can, but should we?



It's not relevant to this post, I snapped it on a footpath. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment